Khartoum, August 19 (Darfur24)

The United Nations has warned of a worsening humanitarian crisis in Sudan as fighting intensifies in North Kordofan and Blue Nile, killing and injuring civilians and displacing thousands in recent days.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said local authorities in North Kordofan reported that more than 12 civilians were killed and others injured in clashes in the Um Arda area, southwest of El Obeid, last Friday.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) estimated that more than 4,200 people were displaced from Um Arda and surrounding areas on Friday and Saturday.

Dujarric said escalating fighting in North Kordofan had also disrupted humanitarian operations. Aid organizations have suspended activities and health services in Al-Mazroub for more than two weeks, despite an ongoing cholera outbreak.

In Blue Nile State, renewed fighting in Qaysan, Kurmuk and surrounding areas over the past week displaced an estimated 5,400 people, according to IOM.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) called on all parties to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure and ensure safe, rapid and unhindered humanitarian access.

Despite the security challenges, UN agencies continue to assist. The World Food Programme reached about 2.3 million people in Darfur in July, providing food assistance.

OCHA also urged donors to increase funding for the humanitarian response. The 2026 Humanitarian Response Plan has received only 41 percent of the $2.9 billion required, with approximately $1.2 billion secured so far.

North Kordofan has experienced escalating fighting since late July, after the army regained control of Bara, Jebra al-Sheikh, Umm Sayala and Jarejakh. The RSF subsequently launched counterattacks on several fronts, including Um Arda, Al-Hashaba and Al-Ayara.

In Blue Nile, the RSF announced last week that it had captured the border towns of Qaysan and Kurmuk following battles with the army, triggering a new wave of displacement across the state.